Monday, July 16, 2007

You're gonna need an ocean...

...but not of Calomine lotion--apparently it's out of style to use as a treatment for poison ivy these days. That's right--I have poison ivy. Pretty badly, too. Let's just say it's creeping upwards into regions you just do not want to have poison ivy in. Ugh.

I like to think most people get poison ivy accidentally--they're traipsing through the woods on a jolly walk-about, or they're hiking and just brush past it by accident. But me--no, not me! I willingly and voluntarily plucked poison ivy vines out of a bushy patch at the edge of our yard to make way for a rhubarb patch. Not that I did it with my bare hands. I had protection, of course! Rubber gloves up to my elbows, plastic bags tied around both hands and feet, and bucket of bleach in which to plunge the vile plant. I was foolhardy, though--I thought this would be protection enough. Turns out those plant oils can jump! Oh, lord, can they jump, and I did not shower immediately afterward, which is the cardinal rule of knowingly dealing with poison ivy exposure. I've been miserable and paying for it ever since.

To top it all off, I have a wedding to go to this Saturday (our 3rd of the summer). I'm trying to get it it quickly off of my arms, and luckily the biggest, weepiest patches are on my upper thighs. Since I'm not wearing my mini-dress to the wedding, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyone have any fool-proof cures for the poison ivy itching and rashes?

6 comments:

Co said...

I have no cures.

I'm sorry you got poison ivy despite taking precautions. That plant is indeed vile and feisty.

Feel better soon.

Melissa said...

I have no cures either :( Just wanted to jump in and say that I hope you feel better.

SaraS-P said...

Wish I knew a wonder cure. Sorry you got it!

e. said...

i used to break out in poison ivy as a kid ALL THE TIME. so bad that my eye would swell shut. it was not fun and they treated it with 10 days of prednazone. those pills are awful, but they did the trick.

Elizabeth said...

My brother once "removed" poison ivy with a weedwacker (bad, bad summer job, not his choice). His resulting case of poison ivy was so bad he actually tried first scrubbing the rash with steel wool then pouring bleach on it. All I could think was, how awful the itching must have been for that to sound like a good idea. I can't remember if it worked. It sounds ridiculously painful. (shudder) Good luck finding something that works! (I hope other people are more helpful than I am, sorry!)

Holly said...

Hot shower water on poison ivy feels GREAT!!!!