Sunday, August 22, 2010

The weight gain game

Ugh. I do not like stressing out about this, but in the past 5 weeks of pregnancy I have gained....6 pounds. Ugh ugh ugh. The midwife was totally unconcerned - I'd been gaining about 2 pounds every month. I had to go 5 weeks before seeing the m/w because of our beach vacation, where, apparently, it was not wise to eat ice cream every.single.day. She chalked it up to being on vacation, sitting on a beach, and just generally not moving as much in the heat. And the ice cream.

Yep. Looking for a healthier way to indulge my sweet tooth. I go in for the 3rd (!) trimester screening tests in 3 weeks or so, and need to have another ultrasound before that for a kidney check. Sleeping officially kills my hips, even with the giant maternity pillow which I find only marginally comfortable. Still, I feel blessed to have had my pregnancy go this way so far, and still being able run after and catch up with this kid:


P.S. - just had a cup of vanilla ice cream with hot fudge. Baby: 1 Willpower: 0

5 comments:

nutella said...

Aww, how cute is that picture! Don't stress the weight, you know that the baby is fine. You may have to work harder to lose it later, but if the baby wants ice cream, give the baby ice cream!

BTW, I gained 10 lbs in 4 weeks when I was around 25 weeks pregnant. What can I say, it was the winter holidays and we went on vacation. My OB raised an eyebrow and just said not to let it happen again.

2 Chicks 1 Hatchling said...

5 lbs in 4 weeks here. I have found milkshakes a terrible temptation myself. The extra diary is good for us, right? :)

Schroedinger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Schroedinger said...

Reposting because I once again neglected to check for typos before posting the first time...

I have not gotten on the scale in three weeks because of a sense of impending doooooooom. Chocolate chocolate chip ice cream is my current downfall.

This seems to be the time for immodest weight gain ;-) I keep thinking about how everyone says it just "melts off" during BF'ing. Sounds like a good reason for another bowl of ice cream!

Amber@Nater Tot said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog through Laura! I gained 8lbs in 4 weeks and cried when the doctor told me to "lay off the carbs." If I wasn't so busy crying I would have wanted to punch him. YOU try laying off carbs when someone else takes over your body and all you want is a little comfort food! Good luck in the home stretch.