Monday, November 02, 2009

Dia de los Muertos

Grampy worked his dream job ushering for the Boston Red Sox during spring training at their park in Ft. Myers, FL for nearly 15 years.

Grampy and Theo Memorial Day Weekend

In honor of the Day of the Dead, I thought I'd post some pictures of special people that we've lost over the past year. This past May, S. lost her grandmother who we called Meme, and in September I lost my grandfather, Grampy, to Pulmonary Fibrosis.

I'll let S. post about her own grandmother, but for me, I can say that my Grampy was at times cantankerous, but always had a mischievous twinkle in his eye, and great stories about growing up in East Boston in the 1930's. Born in 1929, he worked a variety of jobs in his lifetime, mainly around cars and automotive repair. He became the first authorized dealer of Honda Motorcyles on the East Coast in the 1960's, selling them before anyone knew what the Honda brand was. When I asked him why he started selling Hondas, he told me that he saw some celebrity on the Johnny Carson show talk about toodling around Hollywood on a Honda, and he was instantly intrigued. He loved us grandchildren very, very much, and of my son, remarked, "That's quite a kid you've got there," which from him is one of the greatest compliments.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

What a sweet post. Thanks for sharing these stories.

Baby Mama, Too said...

My Grandfather, whom we lost in September as well, would have been thrilled to have an usher job for the Bo-Sox!

beans said...

He looked like a great man . . .thanks for sharing with us!

Septic Tank Cleaning Missouri City said...

Awesomee blog you have here